SEE ALL THE TOURS that visit Meteora in guided tours or train trips.
You choose the monasteries to visit and how long to stay in each one.
Question: Is it possible to visit Meteora, see the monasteries, and return to Athens all in one day? The answer is: Yes. In Kalambaka you have 5 hours to drive on the rocks and visit 2-3 monasteries at the maximum.
If your visit to Greece is too short, this is your chance to visit Meteora.
You realize why the first hermits chose this location to create their monastic community and seek communication with God. See the 4 monasteries and the 2 nunneries, and visit two of them. Learn about the everyday life of the monks, admire their architecture and gaze at the priceless relics and treasures of the monasteries, a cultural heritage to all Christian religions.
Finish your sightseeing return to Kalambaka, have a light lunch, board the train and return to Athens at 21:30
* You collect your tickets from us and settle the account, at least a day before departure.
* Be at the LARISA railway station in Athens at least 30 minutes before the train departure.
* Your train comes at 07:10 am. Find your carriage and your seat.
* 07:20 – The train departs and following a scenic route it travels straight from Athens to Kalampaka(last stop).
* 11:30 – Arrive in Kalampaka and meet our English speaking driver outside the railway station.
* 11:45 – Drive to Meteora. Visit up to 3 monasteries. See old hermitages and cloisters in the caves.
* 16:45 – Return to Kalampaka. Stop at a local restaurant for a light meal (not included in the price).
* 17:00 – The train departs from Kalampaka and arrives in Athens (LARISA station) at +/- 21.30.
To make a booking you deposit 40.00 euro per person and you settle the balance when we meet in Athens.
CANCELLATION POLICY: 15.00 € p.p. is not refundable. In case of a strike the full amount is refunded.
Price & Inclussions
The price for the 3.30 hours private tour of Meteora includes your return B class train ticket and the taxi hire from the moment that you arrive until the moment that you tell the driver that you have seen enough and want to get back to Kalambaka and have something to eat.
– 1 passenger: Train ticket B class, 86.00 € | A class, 98.00 €
– 2 passengers: Train ticket B class, 82.00 € p.p. | A class, 94.00 € p.p.
– 3 passengers: Train ticket B class, 76.00 € p.p. | A class, 88.00 € p.p.
– 4 passengers: Train ticket B class, 69.00 € p.p. | A class, 81.00 € p.p.
To secure your booking, please, click and see the terms, find the pay on line link in the footer, and, deposit 40.00 € p.p.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
* Return train ticket. Pay 12.00 euro, and upgrade the train ticket to A class (recommended).
* Upon arrival you meet our taxi driver and for 4 hours, you visit up to 3 monasteries.
* Visit hidden beauties & explore the area with a local, English speaking taxi driver.
NOT INCLUDED in the price:
* No professional tour guide service is included. It’s you and the taxi driver.
* 3.00 euro per person, being the entrance ticket to each monastery, and
* Your lunch and drinks in the train and while you are in Kalampaka.
Options to visit
We also offer packages for 2 or 3 days. During the extra day, join a Hiking Tour and explore the natural beauty. Discover the geology of the region and follow the trails that the first monks used centuries ago. Hike on the well paved paths from the monastery of Grand Meteoron or the monastery of Varlaam all the way to the village of Kastraki and Kalambaka.
If the hiking tour is a difficult exercise, join the 4 hour morning tour and learn about the monasticism at Meteora. Discover their cultural wealth and have a personal experience of the monastic community.
Our BEST SELLER is the 3 days/2 nights Meteora and Delphi, independent trip by train/taxi and bus.
Last minute bookings are difficult to work. Plan in advance and get the best seats in the train.
We stop issuing tickets 48 hours before the departure from Athens.
KSL13, Level 6 Contributor, TripAdvisor member since 2005, From USA
Kosta is an all service travel agent
I booked a tour to Meteora via train with Astoria travel at a significant discount from other agencies. Kosta also picked us up from the cruise port and took us to our Airbnb. He also gave us lots of advice about life in Greece. He knows so much! And he truly loves his job and he is proud of his country. I hope that lots of people use his services! I did not feel that he was exploiting tourist dollars, like most guys did. He is honest and reliable.
Astoria Travel, (Est. 1958)
48 Stadiou street, Athens 10564, Greece.
Tel. +302103250380, +306932888585.
Click here and send us a message
Travelling to Meteora by train is a comfortable and efficient way. A smooth and scenic ride.